Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Green House

For Earth Day, a little green house that seems to grow right out of the ground. A vine-covered metal framework in the classic shape of every child's first drawing of home, this small structure is in the Children's Garden at The Huntington.
Flower-filled boxes adorn the little windows. Under the gable is a tiny doorway. I'm sure that's how the topiary bears get in too. See their green heads in the photo above? Don't they look like they're headed home?
Inside the green house is a table and benches scaled just right for children (or small leafy bears) where they can relax in the cool shade created by the creeping fig vines covering the walls and roof. High up in the rafters is a succulent ball chandelier. See how it echoes the shape of the round windows at the roof's peak? Good design is important, even in a house of wire and vines.

The Children's Garden is a magical place. There are child-size tunnels, arbors and a maze. Water features, musical rocks, magnetic sand and a volcano. Plants with whimsical shapes and fantastic fragrance. And, as my daughter discovered, blue-bellied lizards that stand still and let you touch them. In every corner, senses are stimulated, imaginations activated and a greater appreciation for the wonders of our Earth is born. If you have young children or grandchildren, this area of the Huntington's vast gardens is a must-visit. But don't think you have to be in elementary school to thoroughly enjoy yourself. Even a nineteen-year-old kid and an old mom like me can have a splendid time.

Earth Day is this Thursday. Take action, have fun, enjoy a garden, learn more.

[ Thanks for the pics and the wonderful day, Katey! ]

14 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

That is so great! I luv it, and so fitting with Earth Day!!
Thanks for sharing,
L.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Pretty pics, Tracy! I've been out digging in the dirt this last week & it feels good again. Thanks for stopping by & chiming in. I trust your judgement too, glad that you agreed with me. :)

Splenderosa said...

OMG, this is totally wonderful. I'm sending it to my son who would love building this...he is totally into plants, veggies, etc. Thank you, Tracy. Come see my Earth Day stuff. xx's Marsha

Traci Giles said...

So pretty, Tracy! I will be taking my Meg there for a fun day soon, I went years ago but haven't been with Meg yet. Can't wait to see that children's garden! Have you eaten at the restaurant there?

Silvia C said...

I'm printing a picture of this greenhouse and posting it on my inspiration board. Love it. Honestly...I love this post.

Renae Moore said...

I love this...wonder how long it took to grow?
xx

the gardener's cottage said...

Hi Tracy,

Now that truly is a green house. So beautiful. Def going to take my grand daughter to see it.

~janet

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a beautiful and creative place. A child's fantasy! I have never heard of The Huntington. Within an hours travel of my home there is a fabulous topiary garden called LaDew Gardens. I just love to visit, and I have loved this little children's house you took me to also! It was so nice to visit your lovely blog. I could not resist visiting with such a delightful name... Comfort and Luxury!

Yvonne

Content in a Cottage said...

Tracy...I want to go there too. I love the topiary greenhouse. Rosemary

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, how fun! Love this. It really does look like a magical place. It reminds me of "The Secret Garden," which was one of my favorite books as a girl. :)

Tracy F. said...

Too wonderful for words!

Kathysue said...

I love this post, I want a green house like that one!! Love it, Happy Earth day11 Kathysue

Acanthus and Acorn said...

So charming and magical!

DecRenew Interiors said...

Perfect for "earth day." Enjoyed reading your blog today.

Ruthie